Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The Three Disgraces

I told you about my Abstract Art Class assignment to make a piece involving  three people or characters.  My teacher showed us versions of the classic piece, the Three Graces. This immediately made me ask, has anybody thought of a piece called The Three Disgraces? My teacher said no, but you could try that.

My first thought was simply to take a version of The Three Graces and pasting a copy of Alfred E Newman's face on them, but, while one teacher said it was fine, the other wasn't happy with it, so I painted something of my own design using acrylic paint on my pad of  Strathmore mixed media paper.

I painted three ugly women in a bath house. They were originally supposed to be a fat woman, an extremely thin woman, and an extremely hairy woman. The hairy woman didn't quite work out, but I love her anyway.  Yes, my drawing ability is terrible, especially with a paint brush, but I love the way the colors I mixed turned out. I loved the flesh tones I developed and even though the hairy woman doesn't really look hairy, I love her coloring too.

No comments: